Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Romanticism of the Struggling Artist

Hey Folks,

There's this notion.

I don't know if this is world wide, or if it's an American thing, or even if it's just a Hollywood that's been highly ingrained in society.

It's the whole Romanticism of the Struggling Artist.

I'm over it.

And further more I don't think it's necessary.

Now maybe the fact that, I've basically been the epitamy of the struggling artist for the last 20 years makes me a hypocrite - or an expert. I don't know.

But there's the thing, does suffering make you a better artist, or just a depressed artist?

I've easily done just as much good quality work when I was happy and motivated as when I was starving and depressed. Hell Maybe I've done even more because I don't have to friggen stress about how I'm going to pay my rent.

Do you really care if you're artists have struggled? If they've forgone medical exams in lieu of breakfast cereal? If they've had their heart broken and live a life of solitude? if they've stuck there head in the oven more often then a turkey pot pie?

You wouldn't want to spend an extended amount of time with such a person...

So why does this validate them more then the person who just loves what they do and makes a living doing it?

I think there's some cross over with the feeling that people are 'selling out'.

Our artists can't be so successful that all the world loves them, or they're no longer "our artist" - so clearly if everyone likes them, they've sold out.

Tell me you would give your left nut for some big corporation to say "We like what you do, we want to give you 20,000 dollars".

Can we stop judging people on ancillary actions, and just judge them for their vision and skill?

Can we cheer people on for their success and not belittle them for doing what we haven't?

Does it even matter after you've paid your dues for 20 years, to try and change people's minds now?

Stay Strong,

-SamProof

0 comments: